Deliciously Organic

has been moved to new address

http://http://deliciouslyorganic.net

Sorry for inconvenience...

Deliciously Organic: Chocolate Mousse

Deliciously Organic

A blog devoted entirely to simple, wholesome, organic cooking.

Sunday, September 6, 2009

Chocolate Mousse

OK, I have to admit, my husband and I find every excuse in the the book to whip up some chocolate mousse. I make it when company is coming (because it's so quick to make), when my husbands' had a bad day, when I've had a bad day, when we just want some dessert....are you seeing a trend? The richness of the chocolate and the creamy texture of the whipped cream is a combination we constantly crave.

The other night I decided to tweak my recipe a bit to intensify the flavors. My husband and oldest daughter had just left to go running and that left my youngest daughter and I at home to try out some mousse. As we were whipping and folding my daughter would take each spatula or spoon I put in the sink and lick them completely clean. After a while she said, "Wow, I am so glad I stayed home with you tonight!" I looked over and her entire face was covered in bits of chocolate and cream. I have to tell you, these little moments in the kitchen with my kids are the times I cherish the most.

Chocolate Mousse
Serves 6
I would use a coconut oil that doesn't have an intense coconut aroma for this recipe (unless you don't mind the faint aroma of the coconut in your mousse).

1/2 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon maple syrup
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 teaspoon vanilla
pinch sea salt
5 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon instant herbal coffee (such as dandy blend)
3 eggs, separated
2 1/2 teaspoons maple syrup
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup heavy cream

In a medium heatproof bowl combine coconut oil, maple syrup, cocoa powder, vanilla, pinch of salt, and herbal coffee. Set bowl over saucepan filled with 1 inch of simmering water. Whisk frequently until smooth and remove from heat.

Whisk egg yolks, 1 1/2 teaspoons maple syrup and salt in medium bowl, about 30 seconds, until it lightens in color. Pour chocolate mixture into egg mixture and whisk until combined. Let cool until just above room temperature.

In a bowl of a standing mixer, whisk egg whites until frothy and then add 1 1/2 teaspoons maple syrup. Increase the speed to medium high and whisk until soft peaks form. Remove bowl from standing mixer. Stir in about 1/4 of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture then fold in the remaining whites.

Whip heavy cream until soft peaks form. Gently fold all of whipped cream into chocolate mixture until no white streaks remain. Ladle mousse into individual bowls. Cover and refrigerate until set and firm, about 2 hours.
note: if you don't have any instant herbal coffee you can use 2 tablespoons of brewed herbal coffee (such as teccino) and reduce the amount of water used in the recipe to 3 tablespoons.

1 Comments:

Blogger HotchaByrd said...

If this is what organic cooking can be like, sign me up!

August 5, 2010 at 10:10 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home