Deliciously Organic

has been moved to new address

http://http://deliciouslyorganic.net

Sorry for inconvenience...

Deliciously Organic: Almond Butter

Deliciously Organic

A blog devoted entirely to simple, wholesome, organic cooking.

Monday, June 8, 2009

Almond Butter


I have to admit, I've always had a sweet tooth. A friend of mine has said for years that it is because of a lack of something in my diet but no matter how perfect my diet is I just can't get past the need, yes need, for something sweet. I think it is purely psychological, but I can live with that.

I am constantly thinking of ways to create new recipes using natural sweeteners, and almond butter has become my latest "fix". It's the perfect mixture of sweet and salty and is as close to a candy bar as you can get without, well, eating one. I always have a jar of it in the fridge and when I need a pick-me-up I go get a scoop full and devour every little morsel. Something I haven't done yet, but plan on trying, is to scoop the almond butter into little balls and then dunk in organic chocolate. Mmmm...I think that would be bliss.

Almond Butter
adapted from Nourishing Traditions, by Sally Fallon
Yields about 2 1/2 cups
This butter tastes best after the flavors have had time to meld in the fridge. Also, make sure to buy organic almonds since now all almonds in the U.S. are pasteurized. The organic almonds are pasteurized with steam instead of propylene oxide.

2 cups dehydrated almonds (recipe below)
3/4 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup raw honey
1 teaspoon sea salt

Put all ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth. Pour into a jar and keep in refrigerator.


Dehydrated almonds
I always have bags of these in the pantry for a quick snack. I first soak them to help neutralize enzyme inhibitors and aid in digestion.

2 cups almonds
1 Tablespoon salt

Put almonds and salt in a large bowl and cover with water. Let soak for at least 8 hours or overnight. When the almonds are finished soaking, spread them out on a baking sheet. Bake in the oven overnight at 160-170 degrees until crispy.








2 Comments:

Blogger Kristen said...

Yum... I was making this w/o the honey a few weeks ago... and okay, without soaking the almonds or dehydrating them either... I know... no, no. :-) This brings we to wonder... are you soaking your grains now, too??

June 8, 2009 at 1:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Sally Fallon's recipes - props for making your own almond butter.

June 19, 2009 at 10:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home