Deliciously Organic

has been moved to new address

http://http://deliciouslyorganic.net

Sorry for inconvenience...

Deliciously Organic: Almond Poppyseed Crackers with Ricotta and Honey

Deliciously Organic

A blog devoted entirely to simple, wholesome, organic cooking.

Friday, May 7, 2010

Almond Poppyseed Crackers with Ricotta and Honey


Lately I've felt like I should turn my blog into an "organic dessert blog."  Maybe you've noticed the oatmeal cream pies, apple cakes, and lemon meringue pies in the last few weeks.  My mind has been spinning with new dessert ideas and many of them have dribbled out onto the blog.  I've actually had dozens of other desserts I've wanted to share, but forced myself to slow things down and insert a salad or two every once in a while. 

You see, I've been thinking so much about desserts because I've already started on a second book.  With  Helen (Tartelette).  It's a gluten-free dessert book. (ahhh!) I've made list after list of recipes.  Each time I read through them I get all giddy.  I have a serious sweet tooth and to be able to write a book, with an incredibly talented lady, about desserts, well, let's just say I'm a very happy girl. (If you live near me, don't be alarmed if I show up on your front porch unannounced with sweets - it's not like we can eat everything that comes out of the oven this year!) 


In an effort to avoid posting another dessert this week, I went on the hunt for a savory snack to share with you (with a little honey drizzled on top).  I love snacks.  My kids and I munch on fruit and vegetables constantly, but often I want something more substantial - like a crispy cracker.  I haven't yet found a store-bought organic cracker made with only unprocessed ingredients that I really love, so I tend to go without.  I came across this recipe the other day for crispy crackers made with almond meal; they're delicious, crispy and gluten free!

The crackers are great by themselves, but you can take them to the next level by smearing ricotta on top and drizzling them with honey.  Some might enjoy them topped with fruity preserves or a hard cheese.  Be careful though, you might eat the entire pan before you realize it - then you won't have room for dessert!


Almond Poppyseed Crackers with Ricotta and Honey
Adapted loosely from Martha Stewart Living
Makes 12 crackers

Crackers:
1 1/2 cups almond meal
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
1 tablespoon coconut oil (to read about the benefits of this oil click here, for the oil I recommend click here)
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 egg white

Topping:
3/4 cup ricotta cheese (for a recipe to make your own, click here)
1/4 cup honey

Preheat oven to 350°F and adjust rack to middle position.  Stir together almond meal, poppy seeds, coconut oil, salt and egg white until incorporated.  Lay a 16-inch long piece of parchment paper on the counter.  Pour dough onto parchment paper and cover with an additional piece of parchment paper.  Using a rolling pin, roll the dough to an 8 x 12-inch rectangle.  Uncover and cut the dough into 2 x 4-inch crackers with a paring knife.  Transfer parchment paper with cracker dough onto a baking sheet.  Bake for 14 minutes, until golden brown.  Cool to room temperature.

To serve: Spread 1 tablespoon of ricotta onto each cracker and drizzle with honey.  Serve immediately.

Soaked Method:  Follow instructions above and bake crackers at 160°F for 8-10 hours, or until crispy.

10 Comments:

Blogger Mother Rimmy said...

I love this appetizer. It looks delicious. I've saved it for the future.

May 7, 2010 at 6:50 AM  
Anonymous marla {family fresh cooking} said...

I keep thinking I need to make some home made crackers. Your look great!! xo

May 7, 2010 at 12:15 PM  
Blogger Gail said...

In a word: YUM. Must try these.

-Gail

May 7, 2010 at 3:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These look delicious! I am always looking for a good cracker recipe, too. I'll have to try this, and the ricotta/honey mixture made me drool.

So good seeing you! Love your girls. I told John, they were so sweet, they even thanked mom for lunch! That's good parenting, my dear! xo

May 7, 2010 at 6:02 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

i nominate you for a sunshine award! here is my post! http://creativetastes.blogspot.com/2010/05/sunshine-award.html

May 10, 2010 at 6:31 AM  
Blogger Ann said...

Thanks for another inspirational (read: easy) recipe~ Do you grind your own almond meal or where do you get it? ~local ann

May 10, 2010 at 3:55 PM  
Blogger Lidia said...

Ricotta and honey........great!! I like it!!

May 11, 2010 at 3:20 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

ricotta and honey is an AMAZING combo!!!!

May 14, 2010 at 10:41 AM  
Blogger Kristen said...

Carrie,

We just made these, and they turned out great! Well, we only made the cracker part. I topped mine with just a bit of pineapple and really enjoyed it. Brandon is going to try them out with salsa. Thanks for sharing and introducing us to almond meal.

May 20, 2010 at 7:40 PM  
Anonymous momgateway said...

this is delicious...ricotta pairs so well with honey.

May 21, 2010 at 4:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home