Deliciously Organic

has been moved to new address

http://http://deliciouslyorganic.net

Sorry for inconvenience...

Deliciously Organic: Brussels Sprout and Bacon Hash

Deliciously Organic

A blog devoted entirely to simple, wholesome, organic cooking.

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Brussels Sprout and Bacon Hash



This week has been filled with rainy days.  I'm loving it because reminds me of home and it certianly takes the edge off of living in the desert for a little while.  The sky has been full of clouds and has made the sunrise and sunsets absolutely glorious with all of their majestic gold and purples.  This morning, when I walked into the living room I noticed the room was filled with golden-orange light.  I quickly stuck my head against to view an amazing sunrise.  It was great timing since my neighbor (another pilot in my husband's squadron) happened to walk to his car at the same time I was gawking at the sky.  We had a brief moment of eye contact and then I quickly peeled my face off the window and walked away, denying that he'd just seen me in my pajamas, at 6am, with my head stuck to the window.  I'm obviously still getting used to this on-base living situation...



Last week Carli from Velvetta Ain't Food (I love that name, don't you?) commented that one of her favorite vegetables is brussel sprout hash with bacon.  I've never been a fan of brussel sprouts, but I'm a huge fan of bacon so I decided to give it a try.  I know that brussels sprouts can be quite bitter so I referred to my favorite vegetable cookbook and used their method of simmering the little gems in salted water to draw out the bitterness.  When everything was sautéed together the sprouts were buttery and sweet with bits of sweet onion and salty bacon.



I was shocked when the entire family devoured it.  Even my kids, who usually won't touch brussel sprouts with a ten foot pole went back for more.  I'm embarrassed to say the four of us ate the entire pan shown above.

Brussels Sprout and Bacon Hash
Serves 4-6

1 pound brussels sprouts, ends cut off
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup water
6 slices of bacon, chopped (organic, nitrate-free and pastured preferred)
1 onion, chopped

Combine brussels sprouts, water and salt in a large saucepan.  Bring to a boil, cover with lid, and lower heat to a simmer.  Simmer for 8-10 minutes, until a knife inserted into brussesl sprout goes in without any resistance.  Strain brussels sprouts and finely chop them.

Cook bacon, over medium heat until crispy.  Remove bacon with a slotted spoon.  Add onion to pan and saute in bacon fat until soft and caramelized, about 8 minutes.  Add chopped brussels sprouts and saute with onions for 5 minutes.  Add bacon, season with salt and pepper, and serve.

13 Comments:

Blogger Miriam said...

I love Brussels sprouts and this sounds fantastic, only I usually just chop them in half.

January 21, 2010 at 10:35 AM  
Blogger monicajane said...

I'm your opposite, loving brussels sprouts but not bacon...

the thing with bacon is I like it as an ingredient in a few things like Carbonara and mixed in with cabbage...

being that cabbage is like brussels sprouts...same family in any case, the good old cruciferous veggie...

I will be making these soon...my husband LOVES bacon!

January 21, 2010 at 12:01 PM  
Anonymous Liz Marr, MS, RD said...

Love the recipe and the pictures!

January 21, 2010 at 3:46 PM  
Anonymous Pam Frank said...

This looks absolutely irresistable. Look forward to trying it soon.

January 21, 2010 at 4:55 PM  
Blogger Carli said...

Wow...how fun it was to check out your latest post and see that you gave this dish a try! I mean, I don't really know why I'm so excited (it's not like I INVENTED brussel sprouts)....I guess it's just that part of me that's always for the underdog, and the brussel sprout is, well, the ultimate underdog!

I really do have some strange fascination with getting people to enjoy things they previously said they hated. My husband says I'm crazy. Really...I'm so glad that your family enjoyed this and don't worry, there's no judgement for eating the whole thing. We've done the same thing! :)

Oh- if you want to try a couple of other preparations with b sprouts, check these out. These are two more recipes that I LOVE and made my husband change his mind about b sprouts!

RECIPE #1- B SPROUTS WITH ISRAELI COUS COUS, PISTACHIOS, GOLDEN RAISINS, AND CINNAMON

http://velveetaaintfood.blogspot.com/2009/09/there-simply-arent-words.html

RECIPE #2- B SPROUTS WITH PANCETTA, WARM MUSTARD VINAIGRETTE, AND RICOTTA
http://velveetaaintfood.blogspot.com/2009/07/it-happens-about-this-time-every-year.html

As always, I love and appreciate your blog so much. Thanks for your great work. Love these photos too!

Hope you're feeling at home in your new place!! :)

January 21, 2010 at 5:10 PM  
Blogger Carrie @ Cottage Cozy said...

...anything with bacon...right!

January 21, 2010 at 6:47 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

I've been really loving Brussels sprouts lately, and this hash looks amazing!

January 21, 2010 at 7:40 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Is it weird that I've NEVER tasted Brussels sprouts? Never! I have to say, though, that this looks delicious. Stopping by from SITS!

January 22, 2010 at 7:04 AM  
Blogger Carol Egbert said...

Great post. My two sons loved Brussel sprouts since they could say the name. They still think of them as a huge treat.
Congratulations!

January 23, 2010 at 4:57 AM  
Blogger 48pinups said...

looks delish! i don't eat pork, what do you recommend as an alternative to bacon? should i try turkey bacon? do ya think it will taste ok?

January 23, 2010 at 6:54 PM  
Blogger Deliciously Organic said...

Carli: I laughed when you said you are facinated when people end up liking something they said they hated. There are many times that friends look at me so strange when I tell them what I cook with and then the next week they are buying it at the store...and then telling their friends about it. haha...

Thanks for the other brussels sprout suggestions. By the way, the recipe made the top 9 on foodbuzz yesterday. Just thought you'd like to know!

January 24, 2010 at 2:12 PM  
Blogger Dandy said...

That sounds so absolutely fantastic!

February 5, 2010 at 7:15 PM  
Blogger Momline said...

I've made this pancetta (Italian style bacon). So yummy! Also tasty with some toasted pine nuts.

February 12, 2010 at 11:33 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home