Deliciously Organic

has been moved to new address

http://http://deliciouslyorganic.net

Sorry for inconvenience...

Deliciously Organic: Food Inc.

Deliciously Organic

A blog devoted entirely to simple, wholesome, organic cooking.

Sunday, November 29, 2009

Food Inc.




I played a ton with my camera this week and here are a few pictures from our Thanksgiving.  My husband  woke up at 3:30am to smoke this turkey.  We injected it the night before with garlic butter and then covered it with Herbamare.  It's the most mouth-watering turkey I've ever had...no gravy needed.  Pecan pie has to be one of my all-time favorite and I wait all year for that one slice.  It's worth every minute in the gym the next day.

We finished the weekend off watching Food Inc.  If you haven't seen this movie, it's now on DVD and I highly recommend watching it.  Food Inc. is a incredibly informative documentary about our food supply and it's communicated in a very approachable way.  It was a great movie to watch right after I finished The Omnivore’s Dilemma . (I just bought the kid's version for my daughters to read.)  One of the topics in the movie that shocked me are the Veggie Libel Laws.  The Veggie Libel Law were passed in 13 states and make it easy for food producers to sue their critics.  So for example, since I live in the state of FL I can't make any negative comments about a specific food without the threat of being sued by that company.  This concept really sunk in with me last night as I was watching the movie and I just can't believe that there are companies in America that have basically taken away part of the first amendment. 

The movie also reinforced to me why to buy from small farms and knowing how they raise thier animals and grow thier crops.  There was a couple in the movie that were at Polyface farms in Virginia that said they drive several hundred miles just to buy their meat.  I turned to my husband and said, "That's us!"  Once a year I drive across FL to meet up with Jenny from Peaceful Pastures to pick-up my years supply of meat.  Knowing that the meat I eat is raised on the pasture is extremely important especially on a nutritional level.

The official website for Food Inc. is fulled with helpful articles and resources.  There is also a page on the site where you can sign the petition for the Child Nutrition Act to support healthy food choices in schools.  This is a topic that is very close to my heart since my kids are school age now.  Every time I go have lunch with my kids at school my heart aches when I see what the other kids are eating.  Their plates are filled with sugar, processed meats and refined carbohydrates.  Please take a moment to sign the petition to help make a change. 

One of the last topics talked about on Food Inc. is how we can tell the food producers what we want with our choices at the grocery store.  If we start buying more organic fruits, vegetables and meat the companies will supply what is being demanded.  We can all start voting with our forks and follow the simple principle, "If you can't read it don't eat it". 

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I loved Food, Inc. too, and I was so happy to hear about your trip across the state to pick up meat! That is a dedication that I understand! And how do you store it? To you have a separate freezer for meats in your garage?

Best,
Molly
Organic Spark

November 29, 2009 at 1:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Carrie,
I love your blog and enjoy trying your recipes! I had a few questions for you. I, too, drive to pick up my meat! How much meat do you order and which cuts do you buy for a family of 4?
Also, do you have any ideas for healthy, quick lunch ideas? What sort of things do you normally make for your girls?
Thank you!

November 29, 2009 at 2:05 PM  
Blogger Deliciously Organic said...

We have a large freezer in the garage that I store the meat in. I've bought the meat a few different ways. A few times I've bought a 1/2 a cow, plus extra ground beef, and about 20 chickens and that will last us about a year. The last two years I bought only the cuts I wanted...it was a bit more expensive but then I didn't end up with cuts that I had to find something to do with. LAst time I bought chuck, ground beef, flank, bones for soup, rump roast, and rib-eyes. I am so excited to have just found a new farm to buy from once we get to CA!

For lunch, besides the normal sandwiches and fruit, we do yogert with honey and berries, nuts, they ALWAYS have to have a vegetable which is usually bell peppers, carrots or broccoli. I also make homemade ranch for dipping. THey also like quesadillas (cold), almond butter with apples, and homemade crackers and cheese. THey always take water in thier little stainless steel containers and sometimes milk in a thermos. hmmm...maybe I should do a post on kids lunches! :)

November 29, 2009 at 3:27 PM  
Blogger WillyP & me said...

Love your blog! Food, Inc. is in our Netflix queue and will be available to "Watch Instantly" on Thursday; I can't wait. I don't have children yet but I'd be interested in reading a post about kids' lunches since I pack my lunch for work everyday!

November 30, 2009 at 7:19 AM  
Blogger LA said...

have you heard of "two angry moms"? PS: LOVE LOVE LOVE food inc. so glad you got a chance to watch it :)

November 30, 2009 at 1:09 PM  
Blogger Kristen said...

Yes! Please do a post on lunches! I remember asking you about what you guys do for lunches sometime last year. A cracker recipe is desperately needed. :-)

December 1, 2009 at 5:17 PM  
Blogger Deliciously Organic said...

I will start working on a post about lunches. It will probably be at the start of the new year after I've gotten settled in CA. Any other kinds of posts you want me to write about or recipes you want me to feature please let me know!

December 2, 2009 at 5:21 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home