Deliciously Organic

has been moved to new address

http://http://deliciouslyorganic.net

Sorry for inconvenience...

Deliciously Organic: Eggy Pasta

Deliciously Organic

A blog devoted entirely to simple, wholesome, organic cooking.

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Eggy Pasta

OK, I will admit I've had an obsession with fresh pasta lately. I've been scouring the web looking for the "best" recipe I can find and can't stop thinking about it. In the last week I have made pasta 4 times! It all started two weeks ago when a friend came to cook some new recipes with me. We had a great time chatting, drinking wine, and cooking some fabulous food. We got to talking about fresh pasta and this is when the thoughts of creamy pasta began running through my mind. The next day I got out my flour and eggs and started kneading, rolling, cutting, and boiling. I drizzled the pasta with olive oil, filled my bowl to the top, and was happy as a clam. The next night I made ravioli filled with fresh mozzarella, basil, pecorino romano and olive oil...yes, I know it isn't very original but the cheese oozing out of the eggy pasta was delightful. Up until this point, I had been using half white flour and half whole wheat (because I hadn't been able to figure out the best ratio for flour to eggs), so last night I made it with durum wheat flour and eggs. I cut it into fettuccine and tossed it with butter and pecorino romano. Again, I filled the bowls up, served everyone, and there wasn't a word spoken at the table, except at the end, when my daughter said, "This is the best creamy pasta I have ever had in my entire life." The pasta was smooth, creamy, eggy...really everything a fresh pasta should be.

Whole wheat pasta with butter and cheese
(yields about 2 pounds)
The pasta from start to finish should take about 30 minutes, and this is also allowing time for the pasta to rest for 15 minutes.

2 1/2 cups durum wheat flour
3 eggs
8 tablespoons butter
1 cup pecorino romano cheese, grated
sea salt
fresh cracked pepper

Place 2 1/2 cups of durum wheat flour on the counter and make a well in the center. Crack all three of the eggs and begin kneading the dough together. You will need to knead the dough for about 1-2 minutes until it becomes smooth and uniform adding more flour as necessary. Cover the dough and let it rest for 15 minutes and up to 2 hours.

Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to boil. Start by cutting the dough in half and take the first piece and roll it out using a pasta maker or if you don't have a pasta maker you can roll the dough out into VERY thin sheets..no more than 1mm. As you cut the pasta into fettuccine dust your pasta with flour to prevent it from sticking. Boil the pasta for 3-4 minutes or until al dente. Drain the pasta and then toss with butter, cheese and season with sea salt and fresh cracked pepper. Serve immediately.

If you don't want to make all of the pasta in one night, just store the leftover dough in the fridge (for up to 2 days). Let the dough come to room temperature before forming it into pasta.

2 Comments:

Blogger LA said...

I just tried making my own pasta two weeks ago and couldn't believe how easy and delicious it was - this recipe is perfect as i was wondering how to get to the next step (making it with wheat flour) and my questions are: if you made all the dough at once, how would you dry half of the cut noodles? how long does it take to dry? aaaand how long will they last if they are dried? thanks!

September 20, 2009 at 7:10 PM  
Blogger Deliciously Organic said...

Hey LA,

To dry the noodles you need to cut them, toss them in flour (so they don't stick) and then hang them on a dowel or something of the sort (even a clothes drying rack would work). I dry mine a few hours (they will still be soft, not bone dry) and then wrap securely before storing in the fridge. They will last a week in the fridge or a couple of months in the freezer. I hope that helps! Carrie

September 21, 2009 at 4:56 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home